Christmas Tree and Presents
I was in a very weird mood the past week. I started thinking about the block that I was going to code for this month and decided that I wanted to do something original and seasonal. Since we seem to work a couple of months ahead...that puts us up to after Thanksgiving...Christmas! I designed this block in my head and found that, for a change, it translated just as well into EQ4...with just a minor change. I hope that you all like it. We will be making this one 12" finished.
You will need a small amount of a number of fabrics: a WOW for the background, a green, a brown and 6 prints.
Posted: October 1999
Sample Quilt Layouts
You need to cut as follows:
- Green: cut 4 3" squares; cut 2 2-1/2"x4-1/2" rectangles; cut 1 2-1/2"x8-1/2" rectangle
- Brown: cut 2 1-1/2"x1" rectangles
- Prints #1,3,4,6: cut 1 1-1/2"x2-1/2" rectangle of each fabric
- Prints #2,5: cut 1 2"x2-1/2" rectangle of each fabric
- WOW: cut 4 3" squares; cut 8 2-1/2" squares; cut 2 1-1/2"x2-1/2" rectangles; cut 2 1"x2-1/2" rectangles;
cut 2 1-1/2"x2" rectangles; cut 2 1-1/2"x12-1/2" rectangles
- Draw diagonal line on wrong side of all the 3" WOW squares; match right sides together with 3" squares of Green; stitch 1/4" on either side of diagonal mark; cut apart on diagonal mark; press toward Green...square up to 2-1/2".
- Using 1-1/2"x2" of WOW, brown and prints #3 and #4...join WOW to brown and press toward brown; attach prints to WOW/brown watching orientation show below...press toward WOW.
- Using 2 HSTs from step#1 and 4 2-1/2" squares of WOW...join to create row as shown below...press all seams to the right.
- Using 4 HSTs from step#1, 4 2-1/2" squares of WOW and 2-1/2"x4-1/2" rectangles of Green...join to create 2 rows as shown below...press seams to the right on one row and to the left on the other.
- Using 2 HSTs from step#1 and the 2-1/2"x8-1/2" rectangle of Green...join to create row as shown below...press all seams to the left.
- Using all print fabric units...join to create row as shown below...press all seams to the right.
- Join all 5 rows together as shown in block drawing to create basic design...press seams down...then attach a 1-1/2"x12-1/2" rectangle of WOW to the top and bottom of unit...press seams toward plain unit.
- IMPORTANT: Please square up your finished block to be sure it is 12-1/2". If it is larger or smaller, check your seams and redo if necessary. If you do not check your measurements, your block may not join properly with other blocks easily to create a finished quilt.
- Decorate your block as you wish!
This is what your block might look like.