Sister's Choice Variation
This block is going to be different from any of the blocks that we have done before...we are going to be doing it in an Amish mode. I am going to be putting up some very different blocks in the next 12 months...we did enough easy ones already. This block uses solids...not variations, or mottled fabrics, just solids in the tradition of Amish blocks. You will need black, and a light and a medium/dark of the same color. We will be making this one 10" finished.
NOTE: I will be giving the half-square triangles a bit larger cut as I have heard from some folks that they are having the same trouble I have getting them the exact right size...then have you square them up. If you can do this unit cutting as recommended...and I envy you if you can...subtract 1/8" from cutting size.
Posted: May 1998
Sample Quilt Layouts
You need to cut as follows:
- Black: cut 8 2-1/2" squares; cut 4 3" squares
- Medium/Dark: cut 4 3" squares
- Light: cut 9 2-1/2" squares
- Using the 2-1/2" squares, stitch a light square on either side of a black square. Make 2 units and press seams toward black square.
- Using the 2-1/2" squares, stitch a black square on either side of a light square. Make 1 unit and press seams toward black squares.
- Attach a unit from step#1 to either side of the unit from step#2 to create center 9-patch and press seams toward center.
- Square up 9-patch to 6-1/2".
- Draw diagonal line on wrong side of all dark/medium 3" squares.
- Match right sides of squares from step#5 to right sides of same size black squares; stitch 1/4" on either side of diagonal mark; cut apart on diagonal mark; press seams toward black fabric.
- Square up half-square triangles to 2-1/2".
- Stitch a half-square triangle, following graphics for placement, to either side of remaining light 2-1/2" squares and press seams toward half-square triangles.
- Attach a black 2-1/2" square to either end of 2 units from step#8 and press seams toward black squares.
- Attach unit from step#8 to opposite sides of 9-patch and press seams toward 9-patch.
- Attach units from step#9 to last sides of 9-patch and press seams toward outer units.
- IMPORTANT: Please square up your finished block to be sure it is 10-1/2". If it is larger or smaller, check your seams and redo if necessary. If you do not check your measurements, your block may not join properly with other blocks easily to create a finished quilt.
This is what your block might look like.