Ornate Star Block
I don't know why this one jumped out at me, but I kinda like it. It's very simple and you should have no trouble making it. You will need 3 fabrics: a background and 2 Mediums or Darks. As you can see by my photo...I used purple and orange...make it contrasting/complimentary! We will be making this one 12" finished.
Posted: October 2000
Sample Quilt Layouts
Cut as follows:
| BOM Fabric
|| Sampler Fabric
|| Cutting Information |
|| Cut 16 2-1/2" squares |
Cut 2 5-1/2" squares
| Medium/Dark 1(MD1)
|| Cut 4 4-1/2" squares |
| Medium/Dark 2(MD2)
|| Cut 1 4-1/2" square |
Cut 2 5-1/2" squares
- Mark diagonal on the wrong side of the 5-1/2" squares of B; match right sides together with 5-1/2" squares of MD2; stitch 1/4" to either side of diagonal mark; cut apart on diagonal mark...press open toward MD2. Take 2 of the HSTs and mark the diagonal across the seam; match right sides and opposite colors together with other HSTs...butting seams to each other; stitch 1/4" to either side of diagonal mark; cut apart on diagonal mark...press open. Square up to 4-1/2".
- Mark diagonal on all 2-1/2" squares of B; match with one corner of 4-1/2" squares of MD1 and stitch on diagonal line; press open to corner. Repeat on all other corners.
TIP : the units are more stable if the excess fabric is left on, but you could trim the bottom 2 layers to a 1/4" seam if you desire...I find that if I trim after I press open and square up...I get less stretching due to the seams being on the diagonal.
- Attach a snowball unit to either side of a QST, watching the orientation of the QST...press in direction of arrows. Create 2 rows.
- Attach a QST to either side of snowball unit, watching orientation of the QSTs...press in direction of arrows.
- Attach row from step#3 to either side of row from step#4 to create block...press either way.
- IMPORTANT: Please square up your finished block to be sure it is 12-1/2". If it is larger or smaller, check your seams and redo if necessary. If you do not check your measurements, your block may not join properly with other blocks easily to create a finished quilt.
This is what your block might look like.